We all know the kitchen is the heart of the home. Creating a show stopping space that’s functional for your family is important. We also understand there can be a great deal to consider when designing your new kitchen. Whether you are building to sell or building your forever home, this space is normally the shining star of every home. To help design the kitchen of your dreams we have created a few handy hints to keep in mind.
MAKE A STYLE STATEMENT – choose your style…
A great starting point in determining what style best suits starts with three questions;
- Are you building to live? GO FOR IT – create your style statement.
- Are you building to rent? Durable and easy to use selections required.
- Are you building to sell? – We would recommend a neutral colour palette to appeal to a wider audience.
The answers to these questions will have an impact on your colour palette and just how far you can go with personalising your space. For example: If you’re building for investment purposes (that is, you’re not going to live in your new home), we would recommend that your selections are durable and easy to use, with a neutral colour palette so that your finished home can appeal to a wider audience.
At Aveling Homes, we believe the best place to start your selections process is to decide which style statement you would like to make. We know that sometimes that’s easier said than done so we have developed four unique looks to assist and inspire you!
- Contemporary: Natural textured finishes. Rich and dark with modern finishes
- Urban: Edgy and architectural with pops of strong contrasting colour
- Traditional: Dramatic and contrasting with classic, sophisticated and sleek finish
- Coastal: Neutrals blues and greys with a relaxed easy living feel
Now that you have chosen a look, you might be wondering what’s next. When creating a stunning Kitchen also keep in mind the functionally of how this will work for your family and even your guests when you are entertaining. Here is where we think it might help to get started:
Layout & Function
- How you live in this room? How do you want to use this space?
- Consider adding a Drop Zone benchtop space to your kitchen or even a cyber-nook near the food prep area for your devices (for those last-minute recipe searches!). Great for families as children can be near at dinner prep time and homework time.
- Dishwasher, sink and bin placement. A great kitchen looks great and performs great! We recommend placing the dishwasher and bin drawer to each side of the sink location for easy access to both items when standing in front of your sink.
- Consider a room with view
- Consider family friendly floor coverings.
- Consider bag hooks to your drop zone wall (schoolbags/handbags / shopping bags)
Microwave Recess: There are a few options to consider for the trusty microwave.
- Option 1: Purchase a dual function oven which has microwave features.
- Option 2: Designate a space outside your kitchen for your microwave.
- Option 3: Does your pantry have space for a microwave?
- What type of fridge do you own? If you are purchasing a new fridge, consider what is the best type of unit to suit your family’s needs.
- Check fridge dimensions and cross check against plans (tip: allow 20mm to each wall for plaster when measuring your plans and checking internal height, width and depth of fridge recess)
- Do you have an ice maker fridge? You’ll need a cold tap plumbing provision to the back wall of your fridge recess. At Aveling homes, we can install a cold tap provision at a height of 1925mm AFL (AFL = above floor level). This works best with overhead cupboards above the fridge recess, however can be suited to most fridge recess designs.
- Consider swing of fridge door/s in relation to your benchtops. Is there enough clearance when fridge doors are open?
- Your handles might be a hard one to pick or you might know exactly what you want. If our Contemporary look is for you, then you may not have handles at all. This will create seemless finishes and you can even have no handles to your overhead cupboards.
- What is a show stopping kitchen without the right lighting? Start to think if you would prefer all down lights or if you are thinking of pendant lights over the kitchen island benchtop. Coastal themed designs suit beautiful basket pendants lights above you island benchtop or Contemporary look can highlight the clean lines of overhead cupboards with strip lighting.
- Consider having a powerpoint installed to the to front of your island bench. Concealed or flush mount options are available (refer to Selections Room Contemporary kitchen). The Saturn range from Clipsal are an excellent addition to any kitchen style. You should also consider powerpoints on the back wall for your toaster, kettle, coffee machine and other appliances that live on benchtops.
OUR FINAL THOUGHTS
As you can see above there are a number of components that go into creating not only a stylish kitchen but a functional one also. The team at Aveling Homes is trained to assist you to develop not only your perfect kitchen but to design every part of your home with the same attention to detail.